The UN Country Team and the Ministry of External Relations commemorated the 70th United Nations Day in Cameroon through a week-long series of activities from 17 to 23 October 2015 on the theme: “Peace and Security for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals in Cameroon”.
These activities were as follows:
- Football / Basket Ball matches football and basketball matches at the Sports Complex of the Presidential Guard
- Public Outreach: Sports walk through major streets of Yaounde by some 475 sport lovers,
- Press Breakfast with UN Heads of Agencies engaging the media on major UN achievements and failures for the last 70 years and the SDGs the Yaounde Hilton Hotel;a
- an interview of the UN Resident Coordinator on “The World This Week” broadcast on Cameroon Radio and Television (CRTV),
- Television Quiz on CRTV’s “Le Défi” opposed students of Lycée General Leclerc and College Jean Tabi, to test students’ knowledge on the UN, with more than 250 students
- Conference Debate on “Peace, Security and Human Rights: What challenges for the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals” at the International Relations Institute of Cameroon (IRIC) with 478 participants
- Official UN DAY Ceremony at the Ministry of External Relations with Government Ministers, Diplomatic Corps, other dignitaries and UN Officials in the presence of UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, Stephen O’Brien; Photo Exhibition on highlights of UN-Cameroon relation; a One UN Stand on the substantive work of the UN System worldwide and in Cameroon with more than 450 visitors.